Books on organising a group
Available for reference use only in the Resource Centre library
How to set up a Workers’ Coop, by Radical Routes. This is a 160 page guide to setting up and running a Workers’ Cooperative. There is a hard copy of the third edition (June 2012) in the Resource Centre library, or you can download it at www.radicalroutes.org.uk
- Adults who play
Publisher Brighton Play Association
The books has lots of ideas for activities to do with children from games to puppet making, costume making to photography - old but good.
- Art and people
Author Christine wilkinson
Publisher Slough Arts Development
- Community start up
2nd edition 1995
Author Caroline Pinder
Publisher Community Matters
A very straight forward book covering everything you will need to set up and organise a group.
- Community transport and minibus driving guidelines
A range of information and useful contacts for anyone interested in setting up a cooperative. SEE ALSO sections on Managing Community and Voluntary Organisations; Legal issues
- Doing it for ourselves - a guide to setting up and managing a refugee community organisation
Publisher Refugee Council
Although this book is written specifically for refugee organisations, it covers all the basic information you will need when setting up and running any community organisation.
- Eradicate poverty: a resource pack for community organisations
Publisher UK Coalition Against Poverty
- First steps - a guide to developing out of school clubs for community associations or similar groups
- Get sorted - how to get organised, sort the budget and go for funding for your youth arts project
Author Ruth Jones
Publisher Artsplan Publications
- Getting involved - a practical manual
Author Suzy Croft and Peter Beresford
Publisher Open Services Project and Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- How to set up a refugee community organisation
Author Dhara Thompson
Publisher Federation for Community Development Learning
A practical guide that is suitable for any new group wanting to get started.
Author Mark Smith
Publisher National Association of Youth Clubs
- Pre-school committees and constitutions
Publisher Pre School Learning Alliance
- Ready Steady Go - starting up and running your out of school kids club
2nd edition 2002
Publisher Kids’ Clubs Network
Chapters on: setting up; managing your club; finances; legal issues; staffing; and children and parents
- Representation - A RAISE toolkit
- Starting a crèche - a guide for community groups
- Support from Spectrum for lgbt groups & services
A very simple directory that will give you all the essential contacts needed to run a group.
- The Complete Guide to Creating and Managing New Projects
2nd Edition 2002
Author A Lawrie
Publisher Directory of Social Change
Includes chapters on: Encouraging and developing new ideas; Testing the idea; Building the case; Managing the project; Getting the project going; Designing the project; Getting the project organised; Key management issues; and Measuring up.
- The RED book - records and events diary for voluntary run childcare providers
Publisher Early Years Development and Childcare partnerships in East Sussex and Brighton and Hove
A very useful and practical manual covering all areas of childcare provision with guidance on record keeping, legal requirements, best practice, forms and templates.