Meetings need not be boring! This section can help you to organise meetings that involve your members, generate new ideas and give everyone a chance to contribute to the running of your group.
If you are organising a public meeting or conference, you may also find the information in our Planning and organising events section useful.
Click on the Equipment tab at the top of this page to see our range of low-cost equipment for hire, to help make your meetings accessible and interesting. The Links tab has details of other organisations with useful information, such as venues for hire in Brighton and Hove.
Organising your Annual General Meeting
This information sheet looks at what chairing a meeting involves, and how to do it. There are some useful tips and advice to help improve and develop your chairing skills.
Holding a public meeting can be a really good way of building a campaign or getting more people involved in your group. Here are a few ideas to help you organise a meeting that is interesting, accessible and run smoothly.
Legal issues | Practicalities | Useful addresses
This information sheet gives a quick overview of the main roles of officers, and a more detailed explanation of the role of the secretary.
Quick and easy guide to taking minutes
Quick and easy guide to preparing an agenda
The Resource Centre’s community print room has equipment you can use to print the agenda, minutes and publicity materials for your meeting. If you need to print a number of documents for your meeting, you may find our section on printing information packs useful.
Our section on Publicity and Communication has more information on making sure people know about your meetings and events.
These books are available for reference only, at the Resource Centre. Groups based in Sussex are welcome to come in and browse our bookshelf and noticeboards.
- A Chair's First 100 Days
- Communication skills (Booklet 2 of 5 of "From Conflict to Cooperation" series)
- Community Matters: Reference Manual for Community Organisations Advisers
- Conflict - where it comes from & how to deal with it (Booklet 1 of 5 of "From Conflict to Cooperation" series)
- Meetings and decision-making (Booklet 3 of 5 of the "From Conflict to Cooperation" Series)
- Minute taking
- Organising things - a guide to successful political action
- Point of order - committees and meetings - how they work
- Public speaking and presentations - a guide for small voluntary organisations
- Quick Guides: Meetings
- Quick Guides: Presentations
- The Minute-Taker's Handbook
- Youth action on estates
Equipment available from the Resource Centre
- A board
- Data projector
- Exhibition boards (free standing)
- Exhibition boards (table top)
- Flip chart
- Freestanding signs
- Laptop computer to hire
- Overhead Projector
- Projection screens
- Slide projector
- Stand for projectors
Equipment available from other suppliers
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.