Budgeting and financial planning
Budgeting as a group provides an opportunity for everyone to be involved in decisions about what to spend money on. This is really important for ensuring that everyone supports the financial decisions that are being made. Budgeting is a crucial way to stop your group running out of money unexpectedly, or ending up in debt.
Budgeting and financial planning is also essential for fundraising. For more information have a look at our section on Fundraising Strategy.
Click on the Links tab above for links to other organisations and resources to help with budgeting and financial planning.
A guide to writing a budget for small community groups. It should also be helpful to slightly larger groups which perhaps have one or two paid workers.
This sheet aims to help you work out the best strategy for raising money for your group.
Planning your project, finding the right funders, preparing your budget.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, for reference only. If you prefer to borrow them, some of the titles are available at local libraries in Brighton & Hove. Groups based in Sussex are welcome to come in and browse our bookshelf and noticeboards.
- A practical guide to charity accounting: Preparing Charity SORP accounts
- A practical guide to financial management for charities and voluntary organisations
- Community Matters: Reference Manual for Community Organisations Advisers
- Community Money Matters
- Full cost recovery: a guide and toolkit on cost allocation
- Funding Buddies: getting funding to where it's needed toolkit
- Get sorted - how to get organised, sort the budget and go for funding for your youth arts project
- Governance & Participation: Development toolkit CD ROM
- Introductory pack on funding and finance: Guide to financial management
- Introductory pack on funding and finance: Guide to fundraising
- Introductory pack on funding and finance: Guide to sustainable funding
- Introductory pack on funding and finance: Guide to trading
- Simply Finance: A comprehensive guide to the different options for financing a community enterprise
- Simply Governance: A comprehensive guide to understanding the systems & processes concerned with the running of a sustainable community enterprise
- SORP made simple
- The complete guide to business and strategic planning for voluntary organisations
- The treasurer's handbook - a guide for small voluntary organisations
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.Other services you might find useful
- Accounts, book keeping and payroll
- Getting outside help with running a sports group
- Help with fundraising
- Help with project planning
- Information about Gift Aid
- Information on managing money
- Information on producing budgets
- Information on producing financial and business plans
- One to one support with managing money
- Risk Assessment (Financial and Organisational)
- Support for black and minority ethnic groups