Bernard Sunley Charitable Foundation
Grants available for: Capital costs for registered charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs.
Size of grants given: No maximum. Almost all grants under £50,000, most grants under £5,000
Aims of Fund
Bernard Sunley Charitable Foundation is a general charitable trust, which means it gives funding to a wide range of projects and organisations. They prioritise specific types of activity – these are listed below.
Who can apply
Registered charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs.
How much and what can you apply for
Grants are given for capital costs only. Projects must be self sustaining once the grant is spent.
In 2013-14, a total of over £2.9 million was given in grants to 480 organisations
Grants are available in the following areas:
- Community (including community buildings, playgrounds, accessibility improvements, equipment, specialised transport, IT, youth centres).
- Education (focus on supporting those with special educational needs).
- Health (hospices, treatment centres, residential care, specialised transport, research equipment, mobility equipment).
- Social Welfare (housing for homeless, day centres, household furniture recycling).
How to apply
Preferably, fill in the online application form. To access this, you first have to complete a short eligibility quiz.
Alternatively, send a letter of application, by post, which should include:
- The purpose of the charity and its objectives.
- The need and purpose of the project including who will benefit and how.
- The cost of the project, including a breakdown of costs where appropriate.
- The amount of money raised and from whom, and how it is planned to raise the shortfall.
- If applicable, how the running costs of the project will be met once the project is established.
- Any other documentation that the applicant feels will help to support or explain the appeal.
You should enclose your latest set of approved annual accounts and Annual Report, if these are not already available on the Charity Commission website.
Contact detailsJohn Rimmington
The Bernard Sunley Charitable Foundation
20 Berkeley Square
Tel: 0207 408 2198
Date & initials