Grants available for: Activities that create opportunities for young people aged 10-20 to develop their character and their capacity to significantly contribute to their community
Size of grants given: Between £1,000 and £5,000
Next deadline: Friday 19th September 2018
Aims of Fund
The programme aims to increase overall participation of young people in meaningful social action from 40% to 60% by 2020, with a particular focus on deprived areas.
They define Youth Social Action as ‘Young people taking practical action in the service of others in order to create positive social change that is of benefit to the wider community as well as to the young person themselves.’
Youth Social Action includes volunteering, fundraising and campaigning, as well as skills and confidence – building projects.
Who can apply
This fund is open to registered charities, constituted community groups and other charitable organisations including Social Enterprises and CICs in England.
National organisations with local branches (with their own management committee and bank account) can apply. New organisations that can demonstrate they are financially robust can apply.
How much and what can you apply for
Grants are between £1 ,000 and £5 ,000.
Projects can be up to a year in duration.
Grants should deliver social action opportunities for young people age 10 to 20 years old, or 25 for disabled people.
They will give priority to projects that:
- Seek to increase participation from young people from less affluent social economic groups , hard to reach groups and people who might not usually take part in social action;
- Are working with young people at the younger end of the spectrum (1 0 – 14 years old)
- Build the appetite of young people to continue with social action ; support habit forming behaviour; leave a legacy of behaviour/activity after the funding stops
- Involve young people in planning, delivery and evaluation
- Give young people the opportunity to learn new skills and develop their character and confidence
- Give young people the platform to get their voice heard.
How to apply
Read the guidance (PDF) and fill in the application form on the Sussex Community Foundation website. You can apply to this fund even if you already hold a Sussex Community Foundation general grant award.
Deadlines for application
- Friday 14th September 2018
- Friday 11th January 2019
- Friday 3rd May 2019
Date & initials