IT support and training
We are not IT experts, but for some groups, we offer basic computer skills training. See our One to One support page (below) to find out if we can help your group.
Click on the Links tab at the top of this page for details of other useful organisations who can help your group make good use of technology.
We have four computers in our Print room, which groups are welcome to use. We do not offer training but our front desk staff will do their best to help with tips on using our software to get the results you want, and we are always available to help groups use the equipment in the Print Room. Click on the Printing tab for details of our computer network and the software available.
For groups who have downloaded our free accounts systems, we offer ongoing technical support.
Two easy to use Excel accounts systems which you can download for free.
If you are the Secretary for your group, the Resource Centre can help you to understand your role and to develop skills and techniques to support your group effectively.
At the Resource Centre we can help groups to produce publicity and stationery, and provide administrative support.
Video can be a really easy and effective way of telling people about your group or event. Here are a few tips to help you make a video that is interesting, inspiring and keeps people interested.
Our computers are available for use by any community or voluntary group based in Sussex. They are not available for individuals or businesses to use. It’s a good idea to book in advance. Just call in, e-mail, or give us a ring. NB All prices include VAT
Network of PCs, with internet access
We have four PCs available, plus a laptop. Two of the PCs have scanners. The photocopier can also be used as a scanner (up to A3 size). Arabic keyboard available with two of the computers set up for typing in Arabic (please let us know if you require this). Computer use costs 70p per hour including unlimited internet access. Contact us to book time on the computers.
Scan in graphics or text. Free
- PageMaker 7.0
- Photoshop CS
- QuarkXPress 7 (only available on one computer – please specify when booking)
- InDesign CS6 (only available on one computer – please specify when booking)
- Publisher 2007
- Word 2007
- Powerpoint 2007
- Excel 2007
- Access 2003
- Open Office
- Premiere Elements 3.0
- Access to www.trustfunding.org.uk
- TicketWiz: software and equipment to produce books of perforated, numbered raffle tickets or entrance tickets, personalised to your event.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, for reference only. If you prefer to borrow them, some of the titles are available at local libraries in Brighton & Hove. Groups based in Sussex are welcome to come in and browse our bookshelf and noticeboards.
- CharityComms Guide to Social Media for Charities (parts 1 & 2)
- Community Connected: A Social Networking Toolkit
- Easy, Free & Quick ICT Accessibility
- Guide to Managing ICT in the Voluntary and Community Sector
- How to commission & design accessible websites
- Social Media for Social Good: A How-to guide for non-profits
Equipment available from the Resource Centre
Equipment available from other suppliers
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.
Most useful services for local groups
Laptops and data projectors to hire: People can hire an individual laptop or suite of Internet-ready PC laptops with projector for training. They are particularly keen to help small groups with no paid staff.
Will build a website for your organisation and provide a manual on how you can maintain and update it. Contact them for details of prices.
SCIP also run bespoke training in IT and social media. Check their website for more details.
Website with up to date details of places to access the internet or learn IT skills in Brighton & Hove.
Computing in Minority Languages
HaKiT have dual symbol Arabic/English keyboards and Global Office software. This allows people to read and write documents in Arabic, Chinese, Bengali, and other languages.
- CD burning
- Cheap software for groups
- Computer Recycling
- Computing in Minority Languages
- Creating databases
- Fax service
- Getting outside help with IT
- Help with developing a website
- Help with layout and design for publicity and newsletters
- Information on producing publicity for groups
- Media, audio and visual training
- Office space