Support for Resource Centre Member Groups
Resource Centre membership is free and is open to volunteer-run groups based in Brighton & Hove which are:
- Tenants’ or Residents’ Associations for Brighton & Hove City Council tenants and leaseholders, and/or
- Groups run by and for people living in an area of social housing, and/or
- Groups run by and for black and minority ethnic people, and/or
- Groups run by and for disabled people.
If you think your group may be eligible, contact us to find out.
Groups that are not eligible for our additional support services may find the help they need from one of the other support organisations in Brighton & Hove.
- How we can help Member Groups
- How to arrange support
- More about how we can help
- Written information and advice
- How this work is funded
- How we keep in touch and safeguard your privacy
How we can help Member Groups
We can help member groups in a lot of different ways. We can:
- Help new groups to draft a constitution and open a bank account
- Design and print leaflets, posters and stationery
- Help you to raise money for your group
- Help you to learn how to keep your accounts
- Help you to write letters and emails
- Help new committees to get started, with short, informal introductory sessions on the role of Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Provide independent examinations of your accounts
- Provide ongoing one-to-one support help your committee to develop skills in:
- Support your committee to work well together, with support and advice about how to run good meetings, spread responsibilities and communicate well
- Work with you to plan, design and print newsletters
- Help you to use social media and email for your group
- Provide equipment – we have loads of useful things you can hire for a small charge
- Provide written advice and information about different aspects of running a group
How to arrange support
- To request the support you need, or just ask more about what we can offer, contact us.
- The Resource Centre is open 9am-4pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
- We are at 6 Tilbury Place, Brighton BN2 0GY.
- You can phone us on 01273 606160, or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
More about how we can help
These pages contain more detail about the support we offer to member groups.
- Support for chairs
- Support for secretaries
- Support for treasurers
- Support with raising money
- Support with publicity and printing
- Support with newsletters
- Support with organising your AGM
- Independent examination of accounts at the Resource Centre
We have a large number of written information sheets, especially for small community groups. Member groups may find the following particularly useful.
- Roles of officers
- Chairing meetings
- How to improve your chairing skills
- Secretary’s role
- Treasurer’s Role
- Getting a group started
- Involving people in your group
- Your group’s money
- Financial rules
- Fundraising ideas
- Examinations of accounts
- Planning a funding application
- Writing a funding application
- Reporting to a funder
How this work is funded
Our special support for member groups is partially funded by:
- Brighton & Hove City Council Housing Services (for work with council Tenant and Resident Associations)
- Brighton and Hove City Council Early Years and Childcare (for work with committee run childcare projects in priority areas)
- Sussex Community Foundation (for work with Black and Minority Ethnic Groups)
- East Brighton Trust (for work with groups in East Brighton area)
It is rarely possible to attract sufficient funding to cover the cost of all this work, so much of it is also funded by Resource Centre reserves.
To find out about how we use your personal data if you are a Member group, please see our Privacy notice for member groups and regular users.
Updated August 2019