Health and Safety and Insurance
Being aware of health and safety doesn’t mean stopping people from having fun. It’s just a matter of thinking about risks and taking sensible steps to avoid them. This section contains information to help your group develop risk assessments, policies and insurance provision to match your activities.
Click on the Services tab above for details of insurance providers and other people who can help with health and safety issues.
An introduction to health and safety for community groups run by volunteers.
Information to help community groups decide if they need public liability and/or employer’s liability insurance.
Information for small community groups about safeguarding policies and practices
We provide sample risk assessments for our Bouncy Castle, Smoothie Bike, Popcorn Machine and Candy Floss Machines. We suggest that you use these to give you ideas when carrying out your own risk assessment. Your risk assessment should be specific to your event and organisation.
Information for community groups about criminal records checks for volunteers and employees.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, to borrow or to use in the Centre.
- Charity and Voluntary Workers - A guide to health and safety at work
- Community Matters: Reference Manual for Community Organisations Advisers
- First Aid Reference Guide (St John Ambulance 2012)
- First steps - a guide to developing out of school clubs for community associations or similar groups
- Firstcheck: a step by step guide for organisations to safeguard children
- Guidance to assist organisers of small events
- Guide to health, safety and welfare at pop concerts and similar events
- Health and safety at outdoor community events (Part 1 & 2)
- Risk Toolkit: How to take care of risk in volunteering
- Safe Network: Are they Safe? Guide
- Simply Governance: A comprehensive guide to understanding the systems & processes concerned with the running of a sustainable community enterprise
- The good practice safety guide for small and sporting events taking place on the highway, roads and public places
- The Health and Safety Handbook for voluntary and community organisations
- Voluntary but not amateur: a guide to the law for voluntary organisations and community groups
- Voluntary Sector Legal Handbook
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.
Most useful services for local groups
Health and Safety Information, Help with developing policies and sample policies, Information on being an employer, Information on legal issues, Information on managing community and voluntary sector groups, Information about managing volunteers, Risk Assessment (Financial and Organisational), Risk Assessment (Health and Safety / Fire)
Produce a 5 step guide to risk assessment, available online. Also publish a range of health and safety publications, including a guide to drawing up a Safety Policy and Accident Report forms.
Safety Net is a charity that provides training and support for community groups around safeguarding children.
They run safeguarding training for community groups.
They offer a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) application service, and one-to-one support around DBS applications. You can book an appointment for support by emailing DBS@safety-net.org.uk
They can help organisations use the Simple Quality Protects tool to assess the quality of their work and services.
- Fire Protection
- First Aid courses
- First aid cover at events
- Food hygiene courses
- Getting outside help with running a sports group
- Health and Safety Information
- Help with developing a safeguarding policy
- Help with developing policies and sample policies
- Information and training about safeguarding
- Information on being an employer
- Information on food hygiene
- Information on insurance
- Insurance suppliers
- Legal advice
- Portable Appliance Testing (PAT testing)
- Quality Assurance System providers
- Risk Assessment (Health and Safety / Fire)
- Tax and insurance training
- Umbrella bodies for DBS checking