Setting up a social enterprise
Social enterprises are businesses that have clear social and/or environmental aims. They generate most of their income through trade (rather than, for example, grants), and reinvest most of their profits to further their social and/or environmental aims.
A social enterprise is not a legal structure in itself. There are a number of legal structures a business could adopt when setting up as a social enterprise. Our information on Legal Structures for Not for Profit organisations outlines the range of options available when setting up social enterprises.
The Resource Centre does not specialise in supporting the establishment of social enterprises. Click on the Links tab for organisations that offer services to social enterprises.
A brief guide to legal structures for not-for-profit organisations.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, for reference only. If you prefer to borrow them, some of the titles are available at local libraries in Brighton & Hove. Groups based in Sussex are welcome to come in and browse our bookshelf and noticeboards.
- Governance & Participation: Development toolkit CD ROM
- Simply Finance: A comprehensive guide to the different options for financing a community enterprise
- Simply Governance: A comprehensive guide to understanding the systems & processes concerned with the running of a sustainable community enterprise
- Simply Legal: All you need to know about legal forms and organisational types for community enterprises
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.
Most useful services for local groups
Really useful information website for setting up social enterprises. Also offer grants to social enterprises.
Information about crowdfunding and community shares, Information for social enterprises and co-operatives, Information on legal structures, Information on producing financial and business plans, Information on producing publicity for groups, Information on setting up a company
Local support hub for social enterprises. Website includes lots of useful information, plus a directory of local social enterprises. They have a useful guide to writing press releases.
Provides loans, advice and support for social enterprises in Brighton and Hove. Loans of up to £10,000 available.
- Finding volunteers
- Getting outside help with running a sports group
- Help with project planning
- Information for social enterprises and co-operatives
- Information on being an employer
- Information on producing financial and business plans
- Information on running a group
- Information on setting up a company
- Online tools to help choose a legal structure
- Organisations that give loans to co-operatives and social enterprises
- Studio space