Publicising your group
Publicity is an important part of running a group. It is the way you let people know what you are doing and how they can get involved.
This section is full of information about how to publicise your group’s activities to your community and the public.
Tips about getting an interview on the radio or TV, and what to say once you’re there.
Most community and voluntary groups need to produce printed material from time to time. Whether you are producing a monthly newsletter, a poster for a meeting or an information leaflet, it’s worth thinking right from the start about how you will print it.
Media contacts in Brighton and Hove that are useful for community groups.
A guide for community groups about how to respect people’s privacy when taking photos at your events
Video can be a really easy and effective way to get your message out. Here are a few tips to help you make a video that looks good and gets people’s attention.
Tips for community groups about writing and sending a news release
A plain-English summary of data protection responsibilities for small, volunteer-run community groups, including how to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
The Resource Centre has a Community Print Room, where community and voluntary groups can produce good quality printed materials at very low cost.
If you want to produce a large number of flyers or newsletters, our digital copyprinters are fantastic. You can print lots of copies for a low price, in black, red, green or maroon ink (or a combination of these colours).
If you want full colour (e.g. for photos or colour graphics), we have a low cost inkjet printer and a high quality laser printer. The inkjet is cheap and perfect for mailings, colour newsletters and simple graphics. The laser printer is higher quality and a bit more expensive. People usually use it if they want something to look very smart and bright. It is still a very cheap way to print short runs of full colour printing (compared to commercial printers).
We also have a laminator, binding machine, electric guillotine, folding machine and booklet maker, so you can get your publications all finished off once they are printed.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, to borrow or to use in the Centre.
- CharityComms Guide to Social Media for Charities (parts 1 & 2)
- Communication skills (Booklet 2 of 5 of "From Conflict to Cooperation" series)
- Community Connected: A Social Networking Toolkit
- Community Matters: Reference Manual for Community Organisations Advisers
- Conflict - where it comes from & how to deal with it (Booklet 1 of 5 of "From Conflict to Cooperation" series)
- Evaluation Resource Pack
- How to commission & design accessible websites
- How to produce inspiring annual reports - a guide for voluntary, arts and campaigning organisations
- Image-building and money raising for hard-to-sell groups
- Making the Media Work for You
- Meetings and decision-making (Booklet 3 of 5 of the "From Conflict to Cooperation" Series)
- Organising things - a guide to successful political action
- Plain English Guides: How to write in plain English / Guide to design and layout / The A to Z of alternative words
- Print publishing guide
- Quick Guides: Meetings
- Quick Guides: Newsletters
- Quick Guides: Presentations
- See it Right - making information accessible for people with sight problems
- Social Media for Social Good: A How-to guide for non-profits
- The campaigning handbook - communications, organisation, direct action, lobbying, the law
- The DIY Guide to Powerful Publicity
- The DIY guide to public relations - for charities, voluntary organisations and community groups
- The good campaigns guide: campaigning for impact
- The non-designers design book
- Trustee guide to campaigning and influencing
- Writing reports
Equipment available from the Resource Centre
- Data projector
- Exhibition boards (free standing with 7 boards)
- Exhibition boards (table top)
- Induction loop
- Infra-red hearing system
- Laptop computer to hire
- Megaphone (30W)
- Megaphone (60W)
- Overhead Projector
- PA (very small and portable)
- PA system (battery powered, lightweight, in a backpack)
- PA systems (50W)
- PA systems (80W)
- Projection screens
- Stand for projectors
Equipment available from other suppliers
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.
Most useful services for local groups
Laptops and data projectors to hire: People can hire an individual laptop or suite of Internet-ready PC laptops with projector for training. They are particularly keen to help small groups with no paid staff.
Will build a website for your organisation and provide a manual on how you can maintain and update it. Contact them for details of prices.
SCIP also run bespoke training in IT and social media. Check their website for more details.
Networking and finding other community groups
Community information database for East Sussex, Brighton & Hove. Contains contact details for local voluntary and community organisations, plus information about community events.
- Badges made
- Banner printing
- CD burning
- Cheap software for groups
- Community Radio Information
- Community television
- Delivery and distribution of leaflets
- Fax service
- Folding and Finishing
- Getting outside help with design and planning
- Getting outside help with IT
- Getting outside help with running a sports group
- Help with developing a website
- Help with layout and design
- Help with making films
- Help with publicity
- Images and news footage
- Information about campaigning
- Information about social media
- Information on producing publicity for groups
- Interpreting and translating
- Mailing address
- Media, audio and visual training
- Networking and finding other community groups
- Online discussion and decision-making tools
- Online mailing list tools
- Press release distribution service
- Press release writing service
- Printing services
- Radio air time
- Support for black and minority ethnic groups
- T-shirt printing
- Voicemail service