Activities and workshops
Organising a one-off workshop or activity session can be a great way to liven up your regular meetings or play sessions, or to attract people to a special event. We have information in this section to help you plan and organise fun, safe activities in your community.
Click on the Links tab at the top of this page for some activity and workshop ideas and local people who can offer them. If you have recommendations for more people like this, please contact us.
If you need extra funds to pay for activities like this, have a look at our Raising Money section.
How to remove barriers and make sure disabled people can participate in your group’s events and activities.
Information to help community groups decide if they need public liability and/or employer’s liability insurance.
Information for community groups about criminal records checks for volunteers and employees.
Video can be a really easy and effective way to get your message out. Here are a few tips to help you make a video that looks good and gets people’s attention.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, to borrow or to use in the Centre.
- Adults who play: a training booklet for playleaders, youthworkers, teachers and parents
- Community Matters: Reference Manual for Community Organisations Advisers
- First steps - a guide to developing out of school clubs for community associations or similar groups
- The Complete Guide to Creating and Managing New Projects for Voluntary Organisations
Equipment available from the Resource Centre
- Activity Chest
- Badge machine (25mm badges)
- Badge machine (38mm badges)
- Badge machine (55mm badges)
- Balancing Toy Set
- Bar skittles
- Egg and spoon race
- Football goals
- Giant Connect Four
- Giant dominoes
- Giant Jenga
- Giant Kerplunk
- Giant Ludo
- Giant Pick-up-sticks
- Giant Snakes and ladders
- Giant Twister
- Hop sacks (large)
- Hop sacks (small)
- Hula hoops
- Juggling and poi set
- Karaoke machine
- Multi target
- Play parachute
- Rounders set
- Shove ha'penny
- Skipping set
- Tug of war rope
- Tug of war rope (junior)
Equipment available from other suppliers
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.Other services you might find useful
- Animal handling workshops
- Barn Dance callers
- Basketball sessions
- Circus skills workshops
- Drama workshops
- Environmental talks and workshops
- Finding volunteers
- Information on insurance
- Information on running outdoor community spaces
- Licences to show films at public events
- Music, singing or drumming workshops
- Risk Assessment (Health and Safety / Fire)
- Stunt Action displays
- T-shirt printing