It will make it easier to raise money if you well organised and have a plan. This section provides advice on budgeting to help you have a clear idea about what you need to raise money for and why. It also contains information to help you plan your activities so that you can focus on ways of fundraising that will be most useful for your group.
The Resource Centre can offer help with fundraising to some groups and organisations. Click on the Links tab for information about other organisations that offer advice and information about fundraising.
A small groups’ guide to preparing and using budgets
This information sheet aims to help you get started with applying to local businesses for small amounts of money or items that are useful to your group, such as raffle prizes or equipment you need for an activity. It includes advice and tips about asking local businesses for donations, and some sample letters.
This sheet aims to help you work out the best strategy for raising money for your group.
Information to help your community group think about what you are aiming to achieve, how to find out if you are succeeding, and how to demonstrate to the outside world that what you are doing is useful.
Planning your project, finding the right funders, preparing your budget.
Tips for raising money from trust funders
These books are available at the Resource Centre, to borrow or to use in the Centre.
- A framework of outcomes for young people (2012)
- Applying for your project overheads: guidance for Big Lottery Fund applicants
- Arts funding guide
- Brighton and Hove State of the City Report (2011)
- Charity appeals - a complete guide to success
- Effective Fundraising
- Environmental funding guide
- Evaluation Resource Pack
- Explaining the difference your project makes: A BIG guide to using an outcomes approach
- Finding company sponsors for good causes
- Funding Buddies: getting funding to where it's needed toolkit
- Fundraising and Trustees: the essential guide
- Fundraising for a Community Project
- Grants & Contracts made simple
- Image-building and money raising for hard-to-sell groups
- Introductory pack on funding and finance: Guide to financial management
- Introductory pack on funding and finance: Guide to fundraising
- Introductory pack on funding and finance: Guide to sustainable funding
- Measuring Well-being: A guide for practitioners
- Practical monitoring and evaluation - a guide for voluntary organisations
- Quality First: Quality assurance management for community organisations
- Quick Guides: Fundraising from Grantmakers - Trusts and Foundations
- Simply Finance: A comprehensive guide to the different options for financing a community enterprise
- Sussex Uncovered - Evaluating the needs and strengths of our communities
- Sussex Uncovered - Evaluating the needs and strengths of our communities - Executive Summary
- The complete fundraising handbook
- The Complete Guide to Creating and Managing New Projects for Voluntary Organisations
- The fundraiser's guide to the law
- The youth funding guide
- Writing better fundraising applications
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.Other services you might find useful