Managing staff and volunteers
Whether the people who do the work in your group are paid or unpaid, it’s important that they receive support and respect for their contribution. This section will help you find out what your legal responsibilities are if you employ people and think about how to keep your staff and volunteers involved.
Click on the Links tab at the top of this page for details of other local organisations with useful advice and information on managing staff and volunteers.
Planning and writing an equality and diversity policy for small volunteer-run community groups.
This is an introduction to health and safety for community groups run by volunteers, that don’t have any employees or control any premises. It includes tips and ideas for keeping people well and safe at your events and activities, information on how and why to write a health and safety policy, and some sample policies.
How do you get lots of people along to your meetings and events? How do you make sure that more than a handful of you are doing the bulk of the work?
This procedure is designed to clarify the rights and responsibilities of B&H SWET Ltd, staff and trade unions in the event of disciplinary action.
This policy sets out the steps taken by the Resource Centre to prevent discrimination in the services it provides and in employment.
This procedure is designed to clarify the rights and responsibilities of employer, staff and trade unions should an employee feel the need for a formal process to resolve a grievance.
A guide to the key responsibilities of your management committee, trustees or other governing body.
A simple guide to risk assessments for community groups.
An introduction to DBS checking for community groups and organisations.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, for reference only. If you prefer to borrow them, some of the titles are available at local libraries in Brighton & Hove. Groups based in Sussex are welcome to come in and browse our bookshelf and noticeboards.
- Charity and Voluntary Workers - A guide to health and safety at work
- Charity essentials (for Pre-schools)
- Community Matters: Reference Manual for Community Organisations Advisers
- Equality Matters: A good practice guide
- First steps - a guide to developing out of school clubs for community associations or similar groups
- Giving a little time
- Governance & Participation: Developing democratic governance - factsheets
- Governance & Participation: Development toolkit CD ROM
- Just about managing? Effective management for voluntary organisations and community groups
- Recruitment, selection and induction of volunteers
- Risk Toolkit: How to take care of risk in volunteering
- Simply Governance: A comprehensive guide to understanding the systems & processes concerned with the running of a sustainable community enterprise
- Starting a crèche - a guide for community groups
- The Complete Volunteer Management Handbook
- The good guide to employment for the voluntary sector
- Voluntary matters: a guide to management and good practice in the voluntary sector (booklet)
- Voluntary matters: management and good practice in the voluntary sector
- Voluntary Sector Legal Handbook
- Volunteers and the law
- You're not listening to me! Dealing with disputes: mediation and its benefits for voluntary organisations
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.
Most useful services for local groups
Information on being an employer
Run a Human Resources advisory service for small to medium size voluntary orgnaisations. This includes the chance to post questions via email or post, and the opportunity to work with volunteer professionals on more complex matters.
- Accounts, book keeping and payroll
- Advice about equality and diversity
- Finding volunteers
- First Aid courses
- Getting outside help with running a sports group
- Health and Safety Information
- Help with developing a safeguarding policy
- Help with developing policies and sample policies
- Information about managing volunteers
- Information and training about safeguarding
- Information on being an employer
- Information on insurance
- Information on legal issues
- Information on managing community and voluntary sector groups
- Information on running childrens groups
- Legal advice
- Mediation for community groups
- Minibus driver training and advice
- Office space
- Risk Assessment (Financial and Organisational)
- Tax and insurance training
- Training for community groups
- Umbrella bodies for DBS checking