This section looks at some of the skills and resources you may find useful if you are campaigning to change something. Whether you are trying to get a pedestrian crossing installed or change the law, many of the issues you will face are the same – you need to know how to present your message clearly, reach the right people with it, and stay focused on your goal for as long as it takes.
Click on the Equipment tab for useful campaigning resources and on the Printing tab for information about how you can produce cheap flyers and posters for your campaign. The Links tab has information about other useful organisations who can help.
A plain-English summary of data protection responsibilities for small, volunteer-run community groups, including how to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Surveys are useful for finding out people’s opinions about an issue, or to gather feedback about your group’s activities. This page provides tips on getting the most out of surveys.
This page gives you tips on how to write clearly in a community newsletter. The ideas here will also be useful for other types of writing, for example in letters, emails and publicity materials.
Tips for community groups about running a letter-writing campaign.
Using a petition as part of a community campaign
Holding a public meeting can be a really good way of building a campaign or getting more people involved in your group.
A community group’s guide to researching and writing a campaign briefing
Tips for community groups about writing and sending a news release
If you need to print more than 80 A4 copies of a black & white document, our copyprinters will be the best machines to use.
If you want colour copies, or just a few copies of something, we have a cheap colour photocopier.
These books are available at the Resource Centre, for reference only. If you prefer to borrow them, some of the titles are available at local libraries in Brighton & Hove. Groups based in Sussex are welcome to come in and browse our bookshelf and noticeboards.
- Charity appeals - a complete guide to success
- CharityComms Guide to Social Media for Charities (parts 1 & 2)
- Eradicate poverty: a resource pack for community organisations
- Getting involved - a practical manual
- How to produce inspiring annual reports - a guide for voluntary, arts and campaigning organisations
- Image-building and money raising for hard-to-sell groups
- Making space: protecting and creating open space for local communities
- Making the Media Work for You
- Organising things - a guide to successful political action
- Plain English Guides: How to write in plain English / Guide to design and layout / The A to Z of alternative words
- Print publishing guide
- Quick Guides: Newsletters
- Spaces between: Community action for urban open space
- Sussex Uncovered - Evaluating the needs and strengths of our communities - Executive Summary
- The campaigning handbook - communications, organisation, direct action, lobbying, the law
- The DIY Guide to Powerful Publicity
- The DIY guide to public relations - for charities, voluntary organisations and community groups
- The good campaigns guide: campaigning for impact
- The non-designers design book
- Trustee guide to campaigning and influencing
- Writing reports
Equipment available from the Resource Centre
- Badge machine (25mm badges)
- Badge machine (38mm badges)
- Badge machine (55mm badges)
- Collection buckets
- Collection tins
- Megaphone (30W)
- Megaphone (60W)
- PA (very small and portable)
- PA system (battery powered, lightweight, in a backpack)
- PA systems (50W)
- PA systems (80W)
Equipment available from other suppliers
The services listed below are not provided by the Resource Centre. These are websites and services we feel are particularly useful for small groups in Brighton & Hove, and which are not easy to find by searching the internet.
Most useful services for local groups
Information about campaigning
Rethink have published a useful Take Action guide to campaigning. It's focused on campaigning for change in mental health services, but contains useful tips for any local campaign.
- Badges made
- Community Radio Information
- Delivery and distribution of leaflets
- First aid cover at events
- Help with developing a website
- Images and news footage
- Information about campaigning
- Information about conducting research
- Information about monitoring and evaluation
- Information about social media
- Information on producing publicity for groups
- Media, audio and visual training
- Online mailing list tools
- Online tools to help with surveys and research
- Press release distribution service
- Press release writing service
- Printing services
- Radio air time
- Statistics and data
- T-shirt printing